Monday, June 10, 2013

I love my little man

So random story about Donovan tonight.

We are at the gas station, just Dono and I (Ellen) when Dono asks if we can go in and get him a special treat. So we do and as he is looking at the candy, he tells me that he wants M&Ms but he doesn't know which kind he can have. Before I know it, he tells me he is going to go ask the lady behind the counter. So I follow him and she isn't there so he is a little confused but then she comes to help us and some lady butts infront of him (apparently she did not see the little man waiting) so he steps in line behind her and waits. Then he tells me that he is just going to ask her a quick question, so I didn't need to wait with him, and that he would be right back (basically telling me to go back to the candy isle). Well I didn't want to do that because I wanted to hear what he had to say but I wanted to respect his big-guy-ness so I just stepped around the end cap so I was out of sight.  Then it was his turn. I see this poor counter lady lean her whole body over the  counter to hear him because although he is talking loudly, he is still a shrimp of a 4 yr old and the counter is like 4 feet tall. And I hear him ask her some questions and she asks him to repeat it and then he does and then next thing I know he runs over to me all excited saying that "She told me I could have whatever kind I want!!!!" So he comes back to the candy isle and picks the yellow pack until I tell him it has peanuts in it, then its back to the boring but trusty brown pack. As he is getting one for him and one for Reese I asked him what he asked the lady and he said, "I asked her what kind of M&Ms I could get." So. Damn. Sweet.

So we went up to pay and she said, "He did ask me what kind of M&Ms he could have right?" Because it was either that, or he was asking for a particular kind of cigarette and she went with the M&Ms which was correct.

I just loved the entire thing. I have no idea what prompted him to want to go ask her but ask her he did. And he did not need or want my help, but in a very sweet way.  I cannot believe he is old enough for this! I remember being so embarrassed and scared to order something at taco bell and I was in middle school!  Here he is a 4 yr old and already braver than I was. I am especially proud because he is not one of those annoying kids that talks to anyone and everyone all the time, but at the same time he is growing up and realizes that it is ok and polite to talk to other people most of the time. I just could eat him up right now.

In other 4 yr old news, tonight I was laying in bed with him and I asked, "So, you had a great day at school today?" and he replied, "You betcha!" I am fairly certain he picked that mannerism up from my dad as that is who I hear that from most and it makes me happy to hear Dono using it as well.

I was also trying to talk him into doing swimming lessons again and I told him that last year he was jumping off of the edge of the pool into the water all on his own (with a floatie on of course) and he looked at me quizically, paused for a little and said, "I don't think that's true." All I could do was laugh. Such a grown up.

The other night Reese was starting to throw a fit at the dinner table about something and Donovan was sitting right next to her and said, "REESE!!!!!! I am NOT gonna deal with any of this!"

And all of the sudden, he is this grown up asking to talk to Tom on the phone when I need to tell him something on the way home. Now Dono asks to talk to him so I just dial Tom and hand the phone over and Donovan takes care of the rest. Tonight he even asked Tom to put Reese on the phone and he said, "Reese, how was your day at grammie Q's today?" It was adorable.

I told Tom the other day that I was not liking 4 so far as a little attitude filled boy had taken over my sweet 3 yr olds place but after the last few days with him and the above instances I take it all back. 4 is great too!

No comments:

Post a Comment