Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Birthday boy!

Our little guy turned five today. Wow. How did that happen? He has been counting down the days until his birthday for about the last three weeks so it really is strange that this day has come. This morning both kids were awake when I came out of my room singing, "Happy Birthday" to Donovan and Reese told me I had to stop singing as I did not have his cake ready. Well then.  Donovan woke up to a room filled with balloons, which he told me we were going to do for him for the past several months so Tom and I did not dare to disappoint.



Dono had pretty high hopes for 5.  During our morning getting ready for school and work he asked/told me the following:
- Could I still pick him up? (answer, yes, but barely)
- I need to start buying him all size 5 clothes (really most of his 4s still fit our shrimp but ok Dono!)
- Can I take the back of his booster seat off yet? (no, not til you are seven or something)
And my personal favorite, "Mom! Today is my last day of pre-school and then tomorrow I get to go to kindergarten!!!". I had to break the news to him that while I said he would be 5 when he went to kindergarten, I didn't mean exactly when he turned 5.

Dono spent his day at school with his friends. When I dropped him off all the friends in his class all hounded him and were adorably telling him happy birthday. He told me that they all hid in the gym later and jumped out at him and said happy birthday too and that he got to blow out a candle after they sang to him and ate the cookies we brought in. When I picked him up his fiance friend Amelia (they have a hot and heavy relationship which has already resulted in a mutual decision for marriage) gave him a good bye hug and told him happy birthday as he left. So sweet. In the car on the way home he told me today was the "best day of my life! (short pause) For lunch I had meatloaf, corn and juicy pears!" All his favorite foods for lunch, what more could a 5 yr old ask for?

Then I picked up the kids early tonight so we could get ready for his first baseball game!! The kid one the award for "largest fan club" as both sets of grandparents and his uncle Nick came as well as Tom, Reese and myself. It was adorable. It was a comedy of errors watching the kids run, or not run at the wrong times. Dono did really well and got three good hits. They only play 3 innings and each kid gets to bat once during each inning. Donovan's friend Tyler (old neighbor) is on his team and Ian was on the opposing team so we had plenty of people to cheer on as well. My dad took somewhere between 200-3,000 pictures of which I will download soon whenever I get a copy of them. Donovan was so proud of his cheering section. He looked over at us right after he got to first base after his first hit and was making sure we were all cheering and paying attention. Coupled with the great weather and fabulous company and it was a great night for a baseball game.

After the game we came home for presents and cake. Reese got him a lego set and we got him a bike. He is such big stuff.



It was just us three singing to Donovan this year but Reese held her own so we sounded more like a huge group :)  All in all a great day for a wonderful kid. I am so blessed to be his mommy. I hope I get to celebrate 50 plus more birthdays with him! He is the greatest.

No comments:

Post a Comment