Monday, April 26, 2010

Birfday party

Sunday the 18th we had Donovan's big birthday party. It was a dinosaur theme and we had some really cute decorations which we unfortunately did not take a single picture of. In case you haven't noticed "Dino" is one of Donovan's nicknames so we thought a dinosaur theme would be perfect for our little dinosaur. All in all we had 45 people come to the party (all though not all 45 were there at the same time). It was absolutely perfect weather so we really lucked out as some people hung out outside so it wasn't so packed inside. We had Psghetti's for lunch and found out that Donovan really loves their pasta and garlic bread. Then we opened presents and all I can say is thank God for Logan and Sophia! They are two young family friends who I roped into helping me and Donovan open up all the presents. They did such a great job helping and probably helped us to cut the present opening time in half at least. Donovan was too little to really open anything so I was just sweating with everyone starting at me trying to open all of the presents with a clingy Dino on my lap. Once I drafted Logan and Sophia though, things went much smoother.

After presents we all gathered to sing Donovan "Happy Birthday" and watch him eat his first cupcake. He had never had a cupcake before and I was nervous that we wouldn't be interested and wouldn't "perform". Well he performed alright, it just wasn't the performance I had in mind. Donovan touched the icing, looked at his finger and then fussed for me to pick him up. When I did not pick him up immediately but instead tried to interest him in the cupcake he threw his arms around and got a lot of icing on his arm. This really made him mad. He just melted down after this so we wiped him off and dried his crocodile tears and his mean old mom finally picked him up. I think he was just a) not hungry, b) overwhelmed with all those people there and c) not interested in trying anything new at that point. Nobody said birthday parties weren't hard. He was pretty clingy all day but it worked to everyone's advantage because he wanted to be held the whole time but really didn't care who was holding him so lots of people got to hold and play with him that day. All in all though I would call it a very successful day! Thanks to all our family and friends who made the trip in and helped us celebrate our special little man's first birthday!

Getting excited for the big day with Auntie Jenna.

Modeling his birthday crown that Tom and I made for him. He tolerated it pretty well and wore it while welcoming everyone to the party but by the time we got to the singing and the cake, we totally forgot to put it back on. Oops. Checking out that handsome man in the mirror.
Present time. I swear Donovan is in that picture somewhere.
Testing out his new wheels from mommy and daddy. He loves taking rides around our basement in it. He loves it even more if someone tries to tickle him as he cruises by (with the help of a mommy or daddy pushing).
More trucks! A boy can never have too many trucks!
Taking a break while Sophia, Logan, mommy and daddy continued with the present opening. Here he is playing with Sophia's baby doll that she named "Donovan". Too cute.
Unsure of what that bright thing is that mommy is holding so close to him.
Tentatively touching the icing. "I don't know about this."
"Ok, I know about this and I HATE this! It's sticky and weird! And why aren't you picking me up already? I want OUT!"
"I really mean it guys, please pick me up!"
All together now, "It's my party and I'll cry if I want to!"


He cheered up after he got cleaned up and played on the deck for a little while.

Showing his undies and checking out his new bookshelf.

Donovan, always the gentleman, letting his girlfriend Claire take spin around in the Cozy Coupe.

Unwinding after a long day with some reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment