Sunday, December 19, 2010

Dad Post! Bathtub Learnin'

Howdy y'all, it's been a while since Dad posted about Donovan, but I had a startling discovery while giving him a bath tonight and I just had to share.

Now, Donovan knows some letters and will point out the ones he knows to you over and over again throughout the day. I'm speaking mostly of the P-E-A-C-E stocking holders we have sitting on our mantle. Many times per day he will point up to them and say "PEEEEEE!" or "CCCEEEEEE!" So we are well aware of the fact that he recognizes certain letters, but we have not exactly been quizzing him with flashcards or anything.

Well, during bath time tonight he was playing with all of these little foam letters and numbers that we had floating in the tub. I knew that he recognized some of them so I was pulling those out and asking him. He of course would tell me what each of those letters were (P, C, E, etc). He was doing so well that I just kept pulling them out of the water, holding them up and asking him what each of them was. If he got it right I put it down on the bath mat and if he got it wrong I threw it back into the water. I was shocked at how well he was doing and how many he knew. I had no idea! I yelled to Ellen that he was a genius and she was a little dismissive at first because I call him a genius all of the time, but then I made her come look at the bath mat. See below:


Needless to say she was as shocked as I was! How in the heck does he know all of those!? I was laughing out loud with each new letter I picked up once I got past about seven or eight of them. I was thinking to myself, "surely he has no clue what a Y is." And then "Y!" comes out of his mouth! WHAT!? How do you know that!? Where did you learn it!? He truly amazed me this evening and I couldn't be happier. What a wonderful little boy he is.

Here's my little genius after his outstanding display of mental prowess.

No comments:

Post a Comment