Monday, February 20, 2012

Winter update

So other than the newest walking lady in our house, there isn't much new to report as of late. Reese is doing well at daycare, her and her boyfriend Nicholas seem to be really enjoying each other's company. Unfortunately, almost everyday she has gone to day care one or both of them has been sick, or at least had a cold. The baby make-out sessions are partly to blame I suppose. Both Donovan and Reese have had colds off and on the past month plus. More on than off. Donovan had a nasty cough, (you know, the one that came from his mouth) and then sprouted a 4 day fever, and then gave the cough and congestion to Reese so they both got taken to the Dr's a couple weeks ago. First double sick visit for this family. Both of them were diagnosed with double ear infections and put on antibiotics. Donovan was great at drinking his medication at first. But by day 10 of the antibiotics it was a real struggle getting him to drink it, even after we had mixed juice in with it. Reese was the exact opposite. Didn't care for the meds at first, but by day 10 was sucking on the syringe, looking for more.

Donovan has had an up and down time with day care. The first week, he could have cared less when I dropped him off and barely batted an eye when I picked him up. It went downhill after that. Most days now he gets teary when I leave, but only once was there all out tears. The teachers are very good about taking him on their laps and distracting him so he doesn't completely melt down. Almost every day I pick him up now though, he runs to me and into my arms saying "Mommy! Mommy!" as he starts to tear up and get the frowny face. This doesn't mean he had a bad day, as his teachers have assured me most days are good. I just think he see's me then he realizes I had left him all day and he is sad all over again. Only one day did the teachers say he had a really rough one. That was a day he got up way too early and had a rough morning at home too so I was not surprised. They said he cried almost the whole afternoon. It made us all feel so bad that my mom called and offered to pick him up the next day, two hours earlier than I would have been able to. So his rough day got erased by a Grandma save the next. Tom's mom asked Donovan why he cried that day and he said he cried for his mama, because he missed her. Dang kid. Making my eyes get all wet. He seems to have rebounded though and today there were no tears and no hesitation when I leave.

Donovan is so loving when I pick him up. He tells me he loves me about 30 times from pick up to home. He also sprinkles about 45 "You picked me up, mommy" in there like he thought I wasn't going to. I love that he knows the routine at school and that they are teaching him how to be a little more independent. This morning I took him to the bathroom when we got there as he said he had to go when I asked. He knows right what to do. We go to the littlest potty (the only one he will go on apparently) and he lifts the lid. Pulls down his own pants and underwear, bows his body towards the potty and does his business. When he is done he flushes, then "You put the seat down, quietly", and pulls his own underwear, then pants up. This is a feat. Before preschool, he would never even attempt to pull his own pants up or down and truthfully we are mostly to blame because it is easier and faster if we do it for him so we never pushed the issue. But at school, he has to do it because there are so many kids. Half the time he gives himself a wedgie or his pants are on sideways but it is so dang cute. Then he knows to push his sleeves up, and climb up on the stool next to the sink but only after he has positioned the stool so one leg is resting on the lever that needs to be depressed to turn on the water. When he steps on the stool the water turns on, then he wets his hands, gets soap, lathers, rinses and hops on down. He gets a paper towel, dries and is done. When did he get to be such a big boy that can do all that by himself. It amazes me what pre-school and a little bit of peer pressure can do for life skills.

Donovan is still having a rough time with the transition but it is getting a little better. He is reverting to baby times now. He found one of the random binkies around here the other day and insisted it was his. "Where is my BAN-kie?" He says it in the most southern of accents. Then he pretends to walk like a baby when Reese is walking around. Also, he wants me to call him baby Donovan. Whatever. I just play along. If this is what helps him feel better than so be it. Nights are still hard. Some nights the fight is long and drawn out, some nights he barely fusses. Either way though, at some point, he tells us at least 10 times, that he does not like his bed, and he want's to sleep in mommy and daddy's bed. Since he sleeps like a crazy person on caffeine pills, that is not going to happen. Hopefully this phase is over soon. That or Reese get's old enough that they can sleep together and he will stop throwing fits. Seeing as though that is over a year away, I vote for the former happening soon.

Ok my eyelids feel like rocks. Enough updating for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment