Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Feeling sad

Today I was talking to my mom in the afternoon and I just happened to mention that Tom and I had gone to a funeral of one of his co-worker's son this past friday. I told her that the boy who had died was 2 years old and had had some health issues his whole life but it was still so sad that he died. I had never even met him but Tom and I went in support of his co-worker. My mom mentioned that I sure had enough people that I knew have bad things happen to their young children or pregnancies and that it was so strange that it seemed like there were so many of them. I agreed and we both then said that I have been lucky (knock on wood) so far with the health of Donovan and this pregnancy.

Well unfortunately I got more bad news of this sort tonight regarding one of my best friends and her husband. Kate, the matron of honor at my wedding, and her wonderful husband Kurt are pregnant and due with their first child early June, which puts them about 3 weeks behind us. Since I found out about the pregnancy I have been so happy for them, they are wonderful people and are going to make amazing parents. We got together over christmas and had such a fun time talking with them about their baby and how things were going, talking about names and if they had a feeling about whether it would be a boy or girl. This was supposed to be such a fun time for them. I have been thinking about them a lot recently because I know they should have had their big ultrasound and I was wondering how everything went, not dreaming it would be anything but perfect. It turns out after several ultrasounds and follow up tests that they got the news no parent wants or expects to hear, that their baby has a genetic disorder called Trisomy 18 that is not compatible with life. I am so crushed for them. I can't imagine what they are going through right now. This should be the happiest time in their life, instead they are faced with so many sad uncertainties. I see many families at work that are going through this same thing, but never did I think that it would happen to two of the people in this world I care about the most. I just don't know what to do other than cry and feel a little guilty that I have one healthy baby and a healthy pregnancy so far. Why them? Why not these people I see at work that have no business being parents? I wish there was something I could do to make this better for them, or take away their pain, but unfortunately I don't think there is. I know that the only thing I can do is send prayers and love their way and to be thankful for what I have and try to never take my good fortune for granted. I never want anyone to think for a minute that I don't know how good I have it or how blessed I know I am.

To everyone reading this blog, please send lots of prayers for Kate and Kurt. And if you are a parent to a healthy child, be that much more thankful, patient and kind with them because you are so lucky for what you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment