Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sweet brother

For the past few weeks I have been randomly working on helping Donovan understand that there is a baby that is going to join this family in a few months. I know he is probably too young to grasp even a tiny idea of what is going to happen, but still I have been trying so that he is not a million percent shocked when I am holding a baby full time. Donovan has been a big fan of belly buttons, and looking at people's belly buttons for a month or two now. So lately when he wants to see mine, I tell him there is a baby in mommy's belly after he is done playing with my belly button. And I usually point to my belly as I am telling him this. So several days ago I wanted to test him to see if any of this is sinking in. I pulled my shirt up and showed him my belly and waited til he pointed out my belly button and freckles. Then I asked him, "Donovan, where is mommy's baby?" and sure enough without hesitation he pointed right to my belly. I was shocked! So then two nights ago he was looking/playing with my belly again and I asked him the same thing, and he pointed to my belly again. I thought I would press my luck and asked. "Can you give the baby a kiss?", to which he bent down and kissed my belly. So sweet! As much as Donovan knees and elbows (unintentionally) this baby, I thought the kiss made up for it and more. Then last night Auntie Z(J)enna and her boyfriend Ryan were over and Donovan was going to sleep so I asked for him to give the baby a kiss, to which he did again...again so sweet and gentle. Then he said, "Bye bye baby" as he waved to my stomach and tried to cover it up with my shirt. Melts my little heart. So maybe he won't be so rough to this new baby after all. Here's hoping at least!

No comments:

Post a Comment