Monday, March 14, 2011

The Entourage- man down


I have been meaning to write this post for a while, however something tragic (not really) has forced my hand and I must now write the post with an addendum. First the background, then the latest news.

Donovan has three "guys" we call his Entourage. The Entourage consists of a bunny that he stole fair and square from his Grammie Q last year when she used it for Easter decoration. Bunny is known as "Dunny". Then there is blanket or "bwaintit", a tag blanket that was the original member of the Entourage. Blanket was made by my mom and has been around since Donovan was just crawling. And rounding out the Entourage, and the latest addition as of a month or so ago, is Bear or "Boo" as Donovan calls him. Donovan is very possessive of his "guys" (he calls them his "guys" ever since Tom did one time and so now, we do too). He has to have them for all naps, at night and every time he drinks milk basically. If he is missing one, he will search the missing one out often by calling out it's name VERY loudly. He does NOT handle it well when one is missing so you have to wash the "guys" very carefully. You have to sneak them in the wash and you better make sure they are ready the next time he needs to go to sleep. All of his "guys" have one thing in common, they are very soft. Donovan calms himself with them by rubbing them against his chin, or more accurately, rubbing his chin against the chosen guy. I love that he loves his "guys" so much but it does get a bit ridiculous when he insists on holding all of them and his milk as he walks around. It often does not go well and he gets very upset when one of the guys is dropped.

Here is Donovan demonstrating what he looks like on a daily basis with his "guys". (You caught me, I took these pictures right before the haircut so they are a few weeks old).
Covering himself with blanket.

Peeking out from under all the "guys".

Vegging with the dudes.


Having said all of that about the "guys" I have some sad news to announce. Donovan has shunned blanket as of this past friday. I am in mourning. Tom is in mourning. If there was one guy I wanted him to cut out, blanket would have been the last. It is the smallest, the softest, and the one that shows dirt the least. But alas, I do not make the rules.

It all started last Friday when I went to get Donovan out of his crib in the morning. He was sitting up with his legs straight out in front of him, looking down at one leg. I looked at his leg as he looked at me, then pointed to his leg saying "yucky". He had spit up a little milk on his leg and tiny bit on blanket. I wiped both up but blanket did smell like stomach acid but I had to work that day so I had no time to wash blanket. So I sent Donovan off to Grammie Q's for the day and warned her about the smelly blanket. Like the saint she is she washed blanket but when nap time came, Donovan refused blanket saying "pee yoo". That night when it was time for milk he did the same thing for Tom. Tom told me about it when I got home and I was shocked. I could plainly see blanket on the couch but I did not believe it. The next few days was the same, any time you offered him the blanket he would either shove it away and tell you it was "pee yoo", or take it, throw it in the opposite direction of you and say "pee yoo". I even tried jedi mind tricks by snuggling with blanket myself, and commenting loudly on how soft he is and how he smelled so nice and not "pee yoo" at all, and every time, Donovan would take blanket and throw it away from me. I think he thought he was saving me from the stink but it really does smell nice and fresh. Tom and I have even snuck it in his crib and when he gets up he will hand you dunny and boo and leave blanket all alone. Either that or he will throw it out of the crib all together. I am distraught he was able to turn so quick on his beloved blanket. Is this what he is going to do to me when he gets his first girlfriend? How will I handle that if this is so hard? Anyways he is doing well, and Boo and Dunny seem to be doing a fine job of comforting him without blanket. I guess my little guy is just growing up. Tear.

No comments:

Post a Comment