Friday, May 29, 2009

Just another day

So today I am awoken by the little man requesting some breakfast, just like every other day, except this day as I go out to the couch to get settled Petey decides that oops, "I have to potty and it is an emergency". Before I can even get to the front door to let him out, poop on the floor. Dang it. So that is the beginning of my day. The rest of the morning goes pretty well. Donovan plays on his playmat and keeps himself entertained while I eat a leisurely breakfast and get myself cleaned up for about 30 minutes. A minute after I begin pumping Donovan starts screaming, so I get to listen to that for 10 minutes but as soon as I am done and I change him and hold him, he quiets right down. Today is a gorgeous day, not a cloud in the sky and upper 70's low 80's so I decide we should take a walk. I wasn't going to take Petey with us because he is a crazy walker; all over the place, has no idea what "heel" means and generally needs more attention during a walk then someone pushing a stroller can give him, however, when I was getting Donovan in his car seat and then stroller Petey was so excited that I could not leave him home by himself. The street we live on has two cul-de-sacs on either side, one is quite a bit shorter distance to our house so I usually go to that side first then to the longer side and back home. So to try and make this walk work with all three of us I used petey's retractable leash but fixed it so it would only let him get about 7 ft or so away at any time. It was working pretty well and I was patting myself on the back, thinking of what I was going to tell Tom about how our walk went when we were about 4 or 5 houses away from being back at our house. At that point petey must have stopped to sniff something on the ground and I wasn't looking down at him so I think I must have run into him with the stroller. That spooks him and he takes off. Of course I am not expecting this so he rips the leash out of my hand which then is being drug around by a terrified idiot dog. The handle part of the retractable leash is plastic so it makes noise as it is being drug. Petey interprets this as something bad that is chasing him. So he is running back and forth across the street trying to get away from this leash which he is dragging behind him all the while I am screaming his name to try and get him to run back to me so I can pick up the leash thus taking away the scary thing chasing my idiot dog. But of course he only looks back in fear as he continues his zig-zag pattern in the street. He keeps running farther away and I am thinking "What the hell am I going to do? I can't leave Donovan and chase after him and running with this stroller is out of the question." Then a car comes and I think "Well, at least if they hit him I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore" which I don't really mean but man is this dog annoying. Finally Petey crosses the street and gets on the sidewalk on our side and runs up to our house to the front door. If there is one thing this dumb dog knows it is where his house is so thank the Lord he is safe. Donovan and I catch up and let petey inside and then continue on our walk, sans doggie, which I must say, turns into a pretty nice and uneventful walk. Just goes to show I should never give petey any credit or think that a walk with him is going well until it is over. Meanwhile Donovan is sleeping like a perfect little gentleman. At least one of my children is a good one. All this before noon, too! Oh the excitement around here.
My good little man after the walk.

Slowly waking up.

The village idiot.

1 comment:

  1. That was hilarious and all too familiar!! Try walking with 2 kids in a double stroller and 2 dogs, big dogs!! Yep, only did that once before I learned my lesson. I don't care how much they beg they aren't coming again. I'm glad you, your dog and Donovan are all okay after the walk. Loved your story!!

    ReplyDelete