Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Sad boy

My parents left on Sunday and we miss them already. Donovan missed them a lot and showed his displeasure of their absence by spending the majority of the day crying and fighting sleep. It was a pleasure. He has since calmed down but that day was very taxing. Apparently Donovan did not know that it was mother's day and he should be nice to us so I could have some relaxing/sleeping time. Oh well, there is always next year.
During my parents visit we had some exciting things happen. Donovan lost his umbilical cord, he was "babysat" for the first time so mommy and daddy could go on a date, and he took his very first bottle (with no problem I am told by my mom). During their visit he also peed during his diaper change for the first time, discovered that he loved peeing with no diaper on, and continued on with his second thru 30th or so pee while uncovered. This has led us to many an outfit change. Even with covering him up with a towel or a peepee teepee he somehow manages to knock them off so that he is soon squirting all over the place. Tom and I have both had to just hold our hand over the stream to prevent it from going all over during the act. I never thought I would be so ok with someone peeing into my hand before but surprisingly I giggle the whole time it is happening. On occasion when we are too slow Donovan manages to pee on his own face, which is pretty hilarious and sad at the same time. I actually have just finished giving him his first official bath as a result of one of these incidents. A mommy can only wipe her son's pee off his face with a wipe for so long before she just throws him in the tub. On a side note, he did not hate the real bath as much as he hates the sponge bath. It also helps that it took much less time, even though I had to do it by myself as daddy had to go into work for a little bit.
In other news, Donovan is starting to spread out his feedings which is nice for his mommy. Generally he goes 2 and a half hours or more between feedings now, but never longer than 4 hours. I'll take it though. He also is not sleeping (basically at all) in a crib/bassinet/play pen by himself. He will fall asleep in our arms no problem but it seems like as soon as we put him down he wakes up crying. It seems like no matter how long we wait to set him down he wakes up. I think that we just need to read his cues a little better and lay him down when he is in the deepest part of sleep, however when you are half asleep in the middle of the night, this is easier said than done. So for now we are letting him sleep with us. Last night was our first time letting him in our bed and it seemed to go really well. Before that I was sleeping with him on the couch but after doing a lot of research on co-sleeping, I decided that we should give it a try. Hopefully this is all temporary and as he gets older we can get him more accustomed to sleeping by himself. His reluctance to be out of my arms is the reason for the delay in postings. As I type this he is propped on the boppy in front of me, sleeping away. He is such an angel when he sleeps!


Tom and I getting ready to go on our first post-baby date.


Donovan's favorite facial expression. He loves to make a little "O" with his lips. So cute!


All the grandparents and Donovan. Grandma and Grandpa B on the left, Grandma and Grandpa Q on the right.


Three generations: My parents, Tom and I, and Donovan.

1 comment:

  1. palmer was the same way with sleep. have you tried letting him sleep in his car seat, swing or bouncy seat at night? our little dude liked being upright a little more than the crib allowed. plus those contraptions kind of hug the baby. i know how precious (and elusive) sleep can be so i thought i'd suggest some things that worked for us.

    ReplyDelete