Thursday, October 28, 2010

18 month update


Donovan's 18 month birthday came and went as of last friday but we were so busy we didn't get to update about it so I will now. We had Donovan's 18 month doctor's appointment that day and his stats are as follows:

Weight: 27lbs 5 oz- 70%
Height: 32 and 1/4 inches- 50%
Head circumference: 19 and 3/4 inches- 97%

So he has kinda slowed way down on the height but I always take their measurements with a grain of salt as he is a wiggle worm and it's not easy to measure a worm. Overall he did so much better this check up! Lots of protesting with the measuring but no out and out fits. When Dr Rezabeck came in he picked Donovan right up, laid him on his back and had me hold his arms above his head. Donovan was in a little baby trance and just laid there like a perfect little gentleman. He said Donovan was doing very well and really had no concerns for us. Dono did get half of his flu shot, screamed bloody murder for 7 seconds then was over it. He is so tough.

In other Dono news we are trying to get him off his morning sippy cup. Or maybe he is trying to get us off that, it is really hard to say. In recent weeks Donovan has continued to get up for his 6ish am sippy but stopped taking it from me. So it has become a daddy only activity. Then in the past week he has skipped it several times by getting up and getting a new diaper but then falling asleep before drinking his milk. That happened twice and he woke up at 8:20 both days, awesome! Then yesterday he would not take the milk for his daddy even and was pretty crabby but then finally fell asleep until 8:45 and then took it then. On these mornings he drinks his milk really slow too, not like he is dying of thirst. So yesterday we decided we should be all the way done with the morning sippy. So far so good! We are just going to let him cry it out if he gets up early and today I didn't hear him until 8:45! Yippie! I have always said any major changes we do that I am worried about Donovan has let me know when he is ready and really just does it himself and here again it looks like what he is doing. Such a big boy we have on our hands. Hopefully he keeps up the good work because it would be lovely to only have one child to be waking up to feed soon.

We also got Donovan a very adorable, big boy looking haircut on Monday. Pictures and horror story to follow soon but suffice to say he is the best looking child on the planet now but now he looks like a little boy as opposed to a baby. I joke that he looks so much older that he should be acting so much older and honestly I feel like he agreed and is doing just that! Here are some examples from the past few days.

~Donovan ate his breakfast on Tues at the table sitting on a regular chair like a big boy. He climbed right up there and sat there so I brought him breakfast on a plate and he ate it perfect!




~Donovan walked up the stairs all by himself tues, not crawling or using my hand one time. He used the wall and just walked up no problem!
~Donovan is a very poor hand holder. He does not do it unless he needs you to help him but for safety's sake, forget about it. Tues though he was walking down the sidewalk and raised his hand so I could hold it. After I picked myself off of the floor from shock, I held his hand and we walked down the sidewalk, across the street and up the sidewalk a little all the while holding hands. It was all I could do not to cry. Then we had to go back and he didn't want to so I picked him up but then put him back down once we got across the street. He started walking back by himself but then I said "Can you hold my hand?" and what do I see but his adorable chubby hand go up in the air for me to grab. Freaking adorable.
~Donovan is also starting to say "Love you!". It sounds more like "luh-looo" but I know what it means and it is so cute.

One last funny story is that Tom's mom gave Donovan a card for his half-birthday and she signed it "Love, ? and Paw Paw". I was very confused what that meant and then she said Donovan will never call her anything or even respond to different names for her. Sure enough we tested it and he would never look at her when we asked where Grammie or Grandma was. Then with my parents we tested it again. I asked Donovan where Paw Paw was and he looked and pointed right at my dad. When I asked about Grammie B and then Grandma B he just ignored us and continued to play. So apparently someone has a mental block about who those ladies are that he loves playing with and in Tom's mom's case watches him 2-3 times a week. So now I just tell Donovan "Go to that strange lady" or "Gives kisses to that lady" just for fun. He sure loves his grammies, he just isn't committing to what he wants to call them just yet.

Out takes from the month photo shoot.


What is funny is since the shoot where we were acting like fools to get him to lay down he has gone over to that specific quilt and laid down on it like he was getting his picture taken again. So silly!

No comments:

Post a Comment