Monday, April 11, 2011

Big (boy) news

The update on Dono's new room can wait, we have big news to report... Donovan went potty on his big boy potty tonight for the first time!!!!! His naked butt has been on that potty before and after just about every bath for the last month or so but never has a drop of pee hit the potty (no, he prefers to wait until he is streaking around the house and can bend over to watch himself pee on the carpet) until tonight! We weren't even taking a bath but I stripped him naked, or "nakey, nakey" as he likes to call it, before I changed him into pj's and I thought, "why not give it another try before he pees on the carpet and I get reprimanded by my husband". So Donovan agreed to try, sat down and about 20 seconds later I heard the tune that the potty plays when pee hits the bowl. It startled both Donovan and I but I quickly realized what that meant as Donovan was leaping off the toilet to get away from the frightening sound. Lots of praise and several high fives were sent Donovan's way as we both marveled at the 1/8 of a teaspoon of urine that had collected in the potty. You gotta start somewhere right? Poor daddy missed the event so I tried to get Donovan to repeat his performance but he had no interest. So we dumped the pee in the big potty and Donovan had the pleasure of flushing down the pee pee as we all waved and said "bye bye pee pee". It was quite the big event.

Pictures of the big boy after the big event. The funny face is because he is trying to smile and say cheese and watch the cardinals game on the tv behind me all at the same time.

Now lets be honest, I have no expectations that this means potty training is close, or even on our horizon but it was fun non-the-less. I have known he had this in him for about 6 months now because he loves to a) be naked and then b) bend over, look at his weenie, and then pee but I just could never convince him that doing this on the toilet would be better for his daddy's blood pressure then him doing it on the carpet. Me, I just giggle and clean it up, Tom, he yells at me for letting him run naked through the house. So ultimately a potty trained boy would be great for our marriage. But Donovan really shows no other signs of wanting to be potty trained. He still hides when he poops and never wakes up with a dry diaper. So for now, the potty will just be an extracurricular activity should he feel the urge to use it. We will encourage him anytime he does use it though, but we feel no need to rush the potty training issue. Especially with a baby on the way.

In other big boy news, Donovan is really asserting his independence. And he is doing this in a manner that is very upsetting to his mother. Since putting him to bed (and the bedtime routine) has gotten too hard on my back, I was left to enjoy the wind-down time before bed time with Donovan instead. This consisted of us snuggling on the couch, watching videos on the computer together as Dono drank his milk. I loved our snuggle time but ever since about the first of April he has decided that he is too big for this and needs his own space. So he now climbs up in our leather recliner and snuggles with his "guys" and will watch the video's from the comfort of his own chair. Just today, I got him up from his nap and he was still a tad sleepy, I brought him to the couch and sat down with him and said "Let's snuggle". No sooner had those words passed my lips he was jumping off my lap saying "down", grabbing his guys and climbing into his chair. No one consulted my feelings about this. I'm not ready to stop snuggling cold-turkey. I guess it is for the best since breast feeding probably isn't the easiest when a 2 year old is trying to jockey for the best snuggle position but I just wish my feelings had been considered.

Dono and his chair.

3 comments:

  1. You missed a word in this sentence: "Me, I just giggle and (Tom) clean(s) it up". I added in parentheses for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Tom, I love how you rat out Ellen.

    ReplyDelete