Sunday, August 28, 2011

30!


So the week plus of birthday celebrations has drawn to a close. Tear. Guess I have to wait 10 more years this much birthday fun. We started celebrating last weekend with some of my best friends at the Melting Pot like I had previously mentioned. The night was awesome (and I want to do it again already), the only thing that could have made it better was if my best friend Kate and her husband Kurt could have been there but they live in Duncan, OK so there was no way that was going to happen. Then on Thursday, my actual birthday I had the day off so I packed up the kids and went to my parent's house to hang out with my mom. She bought me lunch (Imo's, yum) and we all played and then the kids and I all took a 2 hour nap together, Reese in her swing and Dono and I snuggled together in bed. Best nap I have had in years. Nothing beats snuggling with your kids, even if your weirdo son is insisting on you scratching his belly button til he falls asleep (I kid, I love that crazy boy).

Then we went home, Tom had cooked dinner and then our neighbor friends Sarah and her two son's came over for cake and ice cream. I had in my head that I really wanted Dono to sing me happy birthday but him and Tyler totally flaked on the singing and poor Tom, Sarah and Trevor (almost 4 yo) had to carry the song themselves. Turns out 2 year olds are terrible serenaders when it is not their idea. The buddies had also come over earlier in the day and brought me a present and a homemade card. Friends that are your neighbors are the best. So all in all, a great, laid back day.

Then Saturday our families (minus Nick) came over for a birthday celebration. We had a lot of pizza, dessert and game fun. They didn't leave til midnight which was late for all of us but nights like those are getting rarer so when we have them we make the most of our time. It was the perfect low key night with the fam.

Today I had my surprise. Tom told me a month or so ago he lined up a surprise for my birthday and I honestly didn't think much about it because I didn't want to get my hopes up for something that turned out to be no big deal. So he mentioned a week or so ago it was going to be on Sunday. Ok, still had no idea what it was. Then today I even forgot about it and was telling him at 10am how I was going to leave to go shopping and he told me I couldn't because of the surprise that was happening at 11. He was like "Do you already know what it is?" I assured him I had no idea, which was the truth. In the next hour I came up with 3 possibilities. 1) Flowers delivered. 2) Singing telegram (?!?) 3) He called up the cardinals pregame people and my name and birthday message was going to be scrolled along the bottom of the broadcast (I had no idea if there even was a day game today, there was). I asked Tom if I needed to get dressed or if I could stay in my PJs and he said I could. So at 11am I am walking up the stairs with Dono to get some Cheese-itz for the boss and Tom is at the door holding petey and he tells me my surprise is here. So he opens the door and now I know it's a singing telegram (again, why?) and then I see Kurt!!!! And Kate!!!!! YIPIEEEEEEEEEEE!! I was so happy and shocked I cried. And I'm crying again just thinking about it. We haven't actually seen them since December and they are two of my favorite people ever so I can't tell you how much that meant to me. Best surprise ever. Kate even tricked me because she texted on my birthday and told me she would call me this weekend so we had set up Sunday for a phone date. This was WAY better. So we got to talk and catch up for the next 3 hours and it was everything I could have hoped for. Yeay Tom and yeay Kate and Kurt! The best way to wrap up my week long "Diva" birthday (as Tom calls it. For the length, not my behavior during it.)

1 comment:

  1. It was a fun surprise! It was so great to visit with you, Tom, and the kids. I only wish we had more time to spend together. It was so nice meet sweet Reese! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete