Friday, January 20, 2012

Week #1 in the books

Week number 1 in the new job is officially over. I had training all of this week, and will have it all of next as well so it will be a while before I actually start doing what I was hired to do. So far I have learned that I need to wear my glasses on days that I will be sitting in the computer lab, doing computer based training all day because round about 2pm my contacts dry up and try to cement themselves to my eyeballs and that is not conducive to learning. In other news, so far I have met a lot of nice people and I am excited about the other new people that were hired that I will be working directly with. The most fun part of my orientation was walking up to wear all the new people were gathering on Monday morning and before I even had a chance to scan around the room I heard someone say "Is that ELLEN?" all loud and I look over and it was Lanita, one of my best friends from nursing school whom I have not talked to since her wedding several years ago. It was so fun to see her there and to already have such a great friend to start this process out with. And I'll always have someone near and dear to me working at SLUH who I can meet for lunch dates and what not down the road. I was very impressed with the majority of speakers that came and talked with us during our orientation. There seems to be a true sense of pride at SLUH and people are genuinely excited to be a part of the hospital. I hope that wasn't just a show. I hope to spend many, happy years here now that I made the change!

In other news the kids seem to be adjusting well as far as us jacking around their schedules goes. Reese went to her babysitters on Tuesday and Thursday, Ms Amanda. Ms Amanda is a former coworker of mine who I love and trust so I have no reservations leaving Reese with her. I know she will treat her and love her as if she was her own. Ms Amanda has a 6 month old boy and Reese is the only other child she is watching so it seems like the perfect situation. Little Nicholas and Reese are fast friends already, taking turns on the push car and being carried around by Ms Amanda while they chase the dog. Reese did well both days, eating all her food and drinking her bottles like a good girl and even taking good naps! I am so proud of her. On Tuesday after we got her home and she slept and ate I noticed she had a rash on her head and chest and back. Of course I panicked, thinking she was allergic to Ms Amanda's and I was going to have to smuggle her to work with me on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but alas, we brought her her own food to Ms Amanda's (instead of what Ms Amanda had made) and no rash yesterday so hopefully it was just a random rash or she just didn't agree with something she ate that day.

Donovan got to go to his preschool with Daddy for a little on Tues and Thurs. The school he is going to wants the kids to get to have two or three short, "testing it out" days, before you drop the poor kid off for 9 hours, so that they have an easier transition. I think it will be great for him so I am excited. Tom admitted he is having a harder time with Donovan going to school that he is with Reese. (Adorable). He said it is because Reese doesn't know any different but he worries that Donovan will act up or will need him and he is worried how Donovan will do. Just another reason why I love that man. I think Donovan is excited and from what Tom said, he seemed to like school. He tells us "I'm gonna go by myself" because I have been prepping him for next week when I drop him off instead of someone staying with him. Fingers crossed that goes ok.

The other 3 days of the week the kids were with Grammie Q, that saintly woman, bright and early. Today was a little rough for Donovan with Grammie asking, "Did you say you signed Donovan up for 5 days a week school?" Two year olds can test the reserve of even the best of the Grammies. From here on out though, Donovan will only go to Grammie's on Wed and Fri with the rest of the days being at Preschool. That means Reese will have Grammie Q all to herself on Mondays so they can have some girl time. I think that will be good for both of them. Big brother is fun, but a girl needs some one on one time on occasion as well.

Also, Reese has finally seemed to shake the majority of the cold she has been hanging on to for the past 2 weeks. It is still there a little but no fever for 5 plus days and yesterday we finally saw the return of her personality and the Reese we know and love (and really, really missed!) Crabby, clingy Reese is a lot to handle, especially with a potty training brother (more on that at another post, coming this weekend). Since yesterday she has been a joy that doesn't have to hang on you at every second. She smiles, she talks, she laughs, she even eats! And as a bonus she has been sleeping through the night (like she was prior to the devil cold)! As a matter of fact, both kids have been going to bed by 8pm, sometimes as early as 7:30pm and what a difference that makes! You can actually get a bit done before bed, who knew? She also has been going down, and not making a peep. No protesting or fighting, just sleeping. It is lovely.

Ok that is all I have the energy for now. It is Friday night at 10:15pm, the husband is downstairs making music, and both kids are asleep so you know what that means. Yes, sleep for mommy. Goodnight all!

No comments:

Post a Comment