Sunday, October 28, 2012

Grammie Q

Donovan and Reese have been blessed to have their Grammie Q watch them while Tom and I work for at least a couple days a week since they both were born.  They both love it. As in they turn and run when they see Tom pull up to pick them up on most days. Poor Tom. This does not speak to his parenting so much as it speaks to how much the kids both love their time with their Grammie. In fact, this weekend we had Tom's brother and our new sister-in-law's wedding reception, and Donovan talked about how he was going to be the one to get to sit on Grammie's lap for 2 whole days before it.  She is that great. The kids fight over her constantly.

Well tonight, as I am leaving Donovan after I tucked him he we had this conversation:
D: "Is it a Grammie Q day tomorrow?"
M: "No, it's a school day."
D: "Whyyyyyy? I want it to be a Grammie Q day!"
M: "Well you have to go to school some days to learn fun stuff and play with friends your age."
D: "But I like Grammie Q the best. She is more fun. I want to go to Grammie's everyday. I want everyday to be a Grammie day."
M :"Well honey I know but you and Reese are hard work and Grammie needs some days to rest."
D: "But I want to go there everyday. (pauses) Somedays I'm not crazy." (we tell them they are crazy people when they are wild. He has apparently picked up on this)
M: "I know but you still are a lot of work and you still have to go to school. You need to learn lots of stuff and your friends would miss you if you weren't there. What would Drew and Buddy, and Seth and Austin W. do without you? They would be sad."
D: "But I like Grammie the best. (pause) Someday, when I'm not crazy anymore, maybe I can go there everyday."

I didn't have the heart to tell him that neither of those would ever happen. But as much as it breaks my heart to hear him tell me that, it makes me that much happier that he feels that way. There is no price for what that woman does for our family and for our children. If we were to rank who our kids love the most, she would be at the top, above Tom and myself I am sure. We often call her "Saint Grammie" around these parts. And the best part? The rest of our kids grandparents, aren't too shabby either. Any one of them would drop everything for their grandchildren. To say we have hit the lottery in grandparents, is the understatement of the century. And hopefully, someday our children will realize just how good they have it. We are blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment