Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Notes on the kids

Donovan does not say a car is "backing up". Nope. They "beep up". As in, "Hey mom, did you see that big truck beeping up?". We taught him when he was younger that some cars and trucks "beeped" when they backed up, so now it has taken the place of the backing up itself.

We are very excited the St. Louis Blues are playing again (booo lockouts). Reese has absorbed that excitement. Today on the way to school she said: "Ready, set, GO! Let's go blues! Let's go hockey!"

I would like to take the time to acknowledge how much more Reese is talking than her brother was at this age. We were counting his words when he was her age. I can't even count the sentences she says. Every day we hear more and more. "I high five Nick." "Reesie do it." "Petey hurt you." "Dono fall down." "Daddy play hockey. Yeay daddy! Excited!" "My baby hungry!" "Baby Carter waving." There are tons more of those, but suffice to say she is a running commentary of the day at this point.

Two of my favorite things Reese is saying right now: "TADA!!!!!!" whenever she finds something or wants to  show you something she is excited about. The other thing is what she says when she wants you to hold her; "I hold you" as she looks up at you and raises her arms. Oh really Reese? You are going to hold mommy? I would like to see that. She is starting to get better, now saying "Mamma hold you" or "dadda hold you" depending on who she is asking to pick her up. (she is the "you" in those sentences).

The other night Donovan was telling me that Reese was a stinker butt that day (his words).  I asked him why she was being a stinker butt and he told me he didn't know (his favorite response to anything).  I told him it was probably because she is related to him. Then he replied back, "Yeah and because she is related to you!" Touche Donovan, touche.

Things Donovan is super into right now: Hammer head sharks, volcanoes, and monster trucks. We had to go to the library twice in the past 2 weeks to stock up on some books about the above issues.

We went to watch Tom play roller hockey the other day and Donovan went early with Tom to the game so he could go in the locker room and hang out with the guys while they were getting ready. Then he got to sit on the bench while they warmed up. Either Tom or uncle Nick sat by him the whole time to make sure no pucks went his way. When I showed up, all I could see what this tiny blond head peeking over the edge of the boards. Cutest thing ever. He was beaming sitting over there with the big guys. Then Tom brought him over to drop him off with me so he would be safe during the game. When Tom skated back, Donovan started running after him, so happy, because he thought he got to go back. When I yelled at him to stop, and when Tom stopped, I could see the realization and heartbreak come over his face at the same time as it dawned on him that we were not going to let him sit on the bench the whole time. Lots of tears. So heartbreaking. But you know what made him happy? The "stuffed up" life sized hammer head shark that they have at the hockey rink. This is how it went. Dono: "(crying, crying, crying, lots of complaining and begging. Then suddenly stopping, looking up and smiling) Mama, I'm smiling now because I am looking at the hammer head shark!" And then he was over it.

Reese named her baby doll (who is a girl) "Baby Carter".  She just so happened to meet real baby Carter (best friend Kate and Kurt's adorable little man), over Christmas break so methinks he made quite the impression on her.  And you must say his full name every time you refrence him. "Baby Carter sleepin. Baby Carter thirsty."

Petey bit Reese tonight. I was not home when it happened but Tom told me that she cried hard for a little while. When she calmed down enough she told him what happened. "Petey. I pull hair." and later added when telling me, "No no. Bad Boy." Kinda hard to punish the dog when she straight up tells you it was her fault and he bit her in self defense (yet she still reprimanded him for biting her). I found her with two fists fulls of his hair the other day after I heard yiping. No wonder that dog doesn't like her.

Reese is turning in to such a big girl. She wants to do everything by herself. Which is especially interesting because she is trying to do hard things, like put her own socks on, that he brother refuses to do.  Just tonight she refused to sit on Tom's lap to read a book. She insisted on sitting next to him, by herself like a big girl. Lots of time we hear her say "Reese do it" or "I try it". Lately when I try to carry her up to her room to get a diaper change she will bat my hand away and say, "I walk" and march off in front of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment