Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Mystery Diagnosis: Solved!

When Donovan was either 3 or 4 weeks old I thought I was the worst mom and DFS was going to get called on me because I found a bruise on his arm and I didn't know where it came from. I noticed it in the morning and initially thought it was dirt or a mark from something, but realized it was a bruise when it did not wash away with my mommy washcloth (spit on my finger of course). It was purple, about 1 inch long and a very skinny. I had no idea where he could have gotten it and felt so horrible I hadn't noticed any injury. I just assumed his arm must have gotten pinched in a snap sometime or that he was dying of some mysterious blood cancer (I blame my hypochondriac mom for this trait of mine, thanks Patty). It went away after about 2 days and I really hadn't thought much about it until last night when I watched a similar bruise happen... it turns out, it wasn't a bruise at all... it was a HICKEY! Yesterday Donovan was over my shoulder, sucking on his forearm for no more than 20 seconds and as he pulled away I saw a hickey that he just made which was in the exact same spot as the last one! Mystery solved! So good news, I am not a bad mom afterall. Apparently I just didn't notice the last time he was sucking on his arm that hard. The hickey looks pretty pathetic, like he was in a baby fight. I took a picture for posterity's sake. I can't wait until he starts dating and I can tell his girlfriends that the first hickey Donovan ever got and gave was to himself. HEHE! Here is the hickey picture.

And here are two more failed attempts at capturing a smile. They are cute faces though!

No comments:

Post a Comment